I joined Facebook on October 19, 2009–behind the curve of my generation and at the (repeated) request of my Girlfriend. I made a Facebook account in exchange for her making a Jango account. Which in retrospect was a trade on my end, because I joined Facebook in exchange for her making an account on a shittier version of Pandora.
But Facebook was awesome, and I joined during the height of Facebook Notes, when people would make notes with
utterly ridiculous Upworthy-and-Buzzfeed-favored title styles like: “Answer 25 questions about yourself and share with 25 others you care about.”
In retrospect, we were all stupid. But out of that stupidity came some good memories and a fun game. So here are the directions, in all their late-aughts glory:
Put your iPod on shuffle and press next to get the answer to the next question. Answer each question with the name of the song. Then tag people for the heck of it! I redid it just for fun 🙂
The idea is that the answer (which is based on your musical preferences) reflects your opinion and general life disposition. Which may or may not be a total load of waffle.
Here were my responses in November, 2009
- How would you describe yourself? Is it Any Wonder?–Keane
- What do you like in a girl/guy? Pretty Visitors–Arctic Monkeys
- How do you feel today? Ojala Pudiera Borrarte–Mana (Translation: I Hope I Can Erase You)
- What is your life’s purpose? Tu Me Salvaste–Mana (TRLS: You Saved Me)
- What is your motto? A Certain Romance–Arctic Monkeys
- What do your friends think of you? The Money Song–Avenue Q
- What’s your personality type? Punch Drunk Grinning Soul–Flogging Molly
- What do you think of your parents? Nettles–Arctic Monkeys
- What do you think of your friends? Paradise City–Guns N’ Roses
- What do you think about very often? You Found Me–The Fray
- What do you think of your best friend? Sueños–Juanes (TRLS: Dreams)
- What do you think of the person you like? Birdplane–The Axis of Awesome [Haha!]
- What is your life story? Cowtown–They Might Be Giants
- What do you want to be when you grow up? Frozen Oceans–Shiny Toy Guns
- What do you think of when you see the person you like? Geografia–La Oreja de Van Gough
- What will you dance to at your wedding? Perdoname–La Oreja de Van Gough
- What will be your job? Empire–Kasabian
- What will they play at your funeral? Fire–Kasabian [YES!]
- What will be the name of your first child? Sofia–Son By Four [That was convenient}
- What is your hobby/interest? Who Knows–Avril Lavigne
- What is your biggest fear? Somewhere I Belong–Linkin Park
- What is your biggest secret? Relax–Mana
- What will your children think of you? Atlantic–Keane
- What will your grandchildren think of you? Lost and Found–Phoenix
- How will you survive a disaster? You probably Couldn’t See for the Lights But You Were Staring Right At Me–Arctic Monkeys
- How will you die? Labios Compartidos – Mana
But here’s the thing. It’s been 5 years since that post, and I’ve still got a lot of the same songs on there, but tripled my musical collection for the better. So what would happen if I were to redo it? My comments are in italics.
My responses in July 2014
- How would you describe yourself? Gang of Rhythm – Walk Off The Earth
- What do you like in a girl/guy? Lyall – San Cisco
- How do you feel today? A Bar in Amsterdam – Katzenjammer
- What is your life’s purpose? Social Currency – Children Collide
- What is your motto? Dangerous and Sweet – Lenka
- What do your friends think of you? You Don’t See Me – Keane (Oh damn. I see you, guys…)
- What’s your personality type? Lock Your Heart Down – Churchill
- What do you think of your parents? You Belong With Me – Taylor Swift (Wut?)
- What do you think of your friends? Demons – Imagine Dragons (Apparently I hate my friends? LOL*)
- What do you think about very often? Champagne Supernova – Oasis
- What do you think of your best friend? Don’t Slow Down – Matt & Kim
- What do you think of the person you like? Sueña – Intocable (Translation: Dream)
- What is your life story? Nitroglycerin – Movits!
- What do you want to be when you grow up? Can’t Stop the Price Tag – Earlvin14 mashup of “Price Tag” and “We Can’t Stop”
- What do you think of when you see the person you like? We Walk – The Ting Tings
- What will you dance to at your wedding? The Trolls – Frozen OST
- What will be your job? Smoke on the Water – Deep Purple
- What will they play at your funeral? My Unconditional Life – Earlvin14 mashup of “Unconditionally” and “The Story of my Life”
- What will be the name of your first child? The More You Ruv Someone – Avenue Q OST
- What is your hobby/interest? Animals – Martin Garrix
- What is your biggest fear? Reindeer(s) Are Better Than People – Frozen OST
- What is your biggest secret? Suck it and See – Arctic Monkeys
- What will your children think of you? Still Fond – Cut Off Your Hands
- What will your grandchildren think of you? Red Wing – The Steel Wheels
- How will you survive a disaster? Spela Mig Pa Radion – Zake ft. Movits! (Translation: Play me on the radio)
- How will you die? Yakety Sax.
*Geez, that’s such a 2000’s thing to say
So what can I say about my shifted tastes? They definitely got more varied, more indie with a dash of mainstream. The second set of tunes also feels more like me. The first set I wrote when I was still discovering my musical tastes–those awkward musical years were made up of me searching for a band and loving it then dumping it for a new one.
I can almost guarantee that if I were to do it again in 5 years that the artists and music will be different as well, and that I’ll have similar thoughts about my musical tastes in 2014. Now I just have to remind myself to do it in 2019. No time to set a reminder like the present!
But try it yourself, take this quiz and post it in the comments–for no reason other than for fun.
And as always, if you like my stuff and/or rants, follow me on here to get an email with every new post I post.